Saturday, 9 June 2007

Help each other!

Yesterday I experienced again that the world will be better place when we all should help each other, instead of practising hate and violence.
In the morning I was supposed to pick up my mom from the train. As usual I was late and I drove like crazy to the station, where I learned that her train was delayed. So I had plenty of time to go to the toilet. These stupid toilets only accept € 0,50 and don't give any change, so I had to buy a bottle of water first to have € 0,50 in coins. No luck unfortunately after buying the bottle, and the girl behind the counter wasn't willing to change one Euro. Grrrr.... Up to the snackbar. There, I had more luck. On to the toilets, put in the coin and the gates open. When I came out again, I realised that I was carrying 'something' when I got in, which I didn't have when I got out again. The bottle of water! Left inside the ladies toilet! Oeps! (it was over 30°C, so I definitely needed the bottle). Since the toilet lady was nowhere in sight and I didn't want to put another coin in the machine to open up the gates for me again, I asked a man who just went in. He couldn't find the lady either, and after a while another young man tried to help me to look for the lady. When the lady didn't show up, I asked both men if they could look in the 3rd or 4th ladies toilet for a bottle of water. They went together, and found the bottle for me! Nice people truly do exist!
The second story happened last night. They predicted very bad weather with heavy thunderstorms. In the south already one lady died because she was struck by lightning. They had given out a weather alarm. At one time I heard children crying and looked out of the window on the first floor. I saw a family (man, woman, girl and boy) huddled together near the entrance of the health center at the opposite of our house. The boy was hysterical because of the heavy lightning all around. It was obvious they were surprised by the weather at the end of the 'Avondvierdaagse', the children were wearing all kinds of chains with sweets around their neck, there were some stuffed animals or flowers on their bikes. I felt very sorry for them. Right after I had recounted what I just had seen, the mother and the girl came running to my house and rang the bell. I hurried to open the door and let the whole family in. They were soaking wet and the boy was very frightened. They apologized for having turned to me, but they didn't know where to go and they couldn't reach their house on bike. I said I didn't mind at all, that I would help them and urged them in the living room. Finally they felt comfortable to go in. I could see that these were very nice people, I liked them immediately. The children calmed down and were attracted to Radka, who was sitting peacefully on the couch after having had her evening meal. I offered to bring them home in my car but they wouldn't let me, so they phoned a neighbour who came to pick them up a little later. They kept apologizing for the fact that they were dirty with rain and mud and kept thanking me. I felt it was really a normal thing to do, because when I would be in such a situation I would also hope that there are nice people who will help me. Today, when they collected their bikes again in front of my house, they left a box of chocolates to thank me.
A day to remember!

No comments: